Thursday, October 05, 2006

Two Octopuses equals Octopi

Hey it's me Emily! The other half! I am quite proud of my husband's excellent writing skills but since I can't get him out of the ocean for long enough to blog, I am filling in for today. We have officially spent more time in wet suits and in the sea than on land over the past week and are loving it. We wander back to our little cabin at some point each night, but otherwise everything you need in life you can find on the deck of a dive shop. Who knew?

Diving certification has been an intense amount of fun over the past week and a bit of whirlwind too. Ryan was already a diver and is now at the advanced level as of this morning so I have had some catching up to do. I completed my open water course yesterday afternoon which qualified me just in time to jump in on the night dive of Ryan's advanced course. A full moon, octopus sightings, huge night creatures of the sea made this an incredible experience. And it was our first dive together! At one point we sat on the ocean floor and turned our lights off to watch our arms glow with plankton as we began waving them around. The ascent towards moonlight at the surface was equally incredible. We highly recommend it. Any divers or divers-to-be out there to join us in the future?

We already mentioned the fun variety of people on this island and we have definitely continued to enjoy them. I do think there is heavy representation from the British Isles. We are working on our accents, but those people from small towns we've never heard of really throw us off. My instructor, Lauren, is from Scottland, has lived in England, Africa, Egypt, and Australia (hope I'm counting right), and has been diving all over the world at the ripe age of 23. She was awesome, and I even got to pick up a few Norsk words from the Norwegians I learned with. I won't do them the dis-service of trying to spell them here...Will has been Ryan's instructor and is quite a mover and a shaker as well as a lot of fun. He and Ryan were scheming about dive software for the shop last night while we were out celebrating at one of the two bars in town. It was fascinating until I had to escape.

Sand fleas, flies, and mosquitos are VORACIOUS so I think the time has come to read up on DEET toxicity after this week. I have traded showers for bathing in it.

We love and miss you all! Thanks for your comments, we love reading them! Much love until next time....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis! Great job! We enjoyed your "voice" just as much. The nighttime dive sounds fabulous, we're very jealous! The bugs we remember well...a shoreline kayak trip resulted in hundreds of bites from bugs we never even saw?! Sort of creepy. Check out that deet info ans stay safe!
Love ya mucho!
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Hey
Stay away from the Manta Ray, OK?

By the way, Alanna is pregnant, Yeah!

That is our best attempt at poetry! Maybe now we will get an actual phone call! Be safe, We love ya

M & A

Anonymous said...

See why we miss you guys at family gatherings??? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Better Half! It's funny, but I actually hear your voice when I knew you were writing. It's good to hear from you Emily, and yes-I'd also like to know who's the 'GO' and who's the 'Getter' in this quest? Who said that people with similar personalities will clash? Please save some of the earth for the rest of us to discover...And, there's a universe to be discovered within each of you too. , pray with and for each other, and we'll do the same from here.
Love,
DadH