Monday, December 17, 2007

Small is the new big

It slapped me like a wet fish that for all the blogging we've done, people don't really know the day to day things about us that make us... us. You can ask someone if they've been to Moscow (haven't) or whether they've seen Cats at the Winter Garden Theater, but that's not knowing someone. Knowing someone is knowing that they hate smelly towels or that they add baking soda to their toothpaste or that they wear dirty clothes again after spending two weeks on the floor. Maybe that's just knowing a college student.

So there are some things you need to know. Like the fact that our place is hemmed in by railroad tracks, so that there is always a slim but distinct chance that day or night you could be trapped inside or outside our little world for up to 45 minutes at a time. This poses some fun logistical challenges and some amazing car rides where you attempt to beat the train to the next crossing, jumping the tracks in a flurry of sparks and the trunk pops open like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

That our shower consistently sets off the fire alarm if you leave the bathroom door open longer than 40 seconds.

That we use ski poles for curtain rods (I think I deserve to receive an honorary editorship to Readymade Magazine for that) or sliding door tracks for picture shelves. That one... not so cool. More cheap than cool.

You might not know that we save all our important conversations for Tuesday afternoons to be more efficient in our use of time.

That last one is ridiculous. We don't do that.

Sometimes we can see Mt. Hood from the window of our office if you crane your head up and to the left and it's not cloudy. December has not been kind.

Our favorite breakfasts are granola and yogurt or cereal and soy milk. Usually frosted mini wheats unless the soy flax is on sale. That sounds so earthy. I might as well tell you that we put wheat germ on both at this point.

That's enough for now.

3 comments:

matt and whitney said...

Hey Ry and EM! So glad to see the updates on on the ol' bloggity blog! I got kinda tired of opening to check only to see "so we went sailing" for months on end. Just being honest :) haha! The santa pic is awesome. Only in Portland? I am happy to know that I am not a bad friend of Em's for not always being completely sure of what is happening with residency stuff...if her own husband gets confused, I don't feel so bad :) Praying for you both. Matt and I just think you two rock, and we wish we could spend a significant amount of time with you guys sometime freakin soon!!! The unknown of tomorrow can be a bit scary to me but exciting in light of trusting our Maker! Very very much love to you both coming from SD and we hope your holidays are fantastic!!! xo whit and matt

matt and whitney said...

PS. I can't believe I forgot to tell you, OUR SHOWER sets off our smoke alarm too!!!! It is sooooo annoying. love you both and hope you had a superb Christmas!!! xxoo

Kelli Henderson said...

It was great to see you guys last week. I too, miss you tons and tons....I'm officially crossing my fingers that Seattle is your future home...I can't bear to be neutral any longer...I want you to myself.

Ok Ok..but if you must live somewhere else..I totally understand and am I loving and supportive friend no matter where life takes you. seattle -cough-seattle...cough-cough

xxx
Kel