Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm taking over

Blogging freaks me out mostly for two reasons: #1 my husband is the amazing writer in our family and that makes me the not so amazing writer and #2 life is full and it seems impossible to summarize at times.

But I'm about to try.

Quick update: I got a job, we are moving to Seattle, we really want to eradicate poverty in the world.

Longer version: In March, I "matched" at Seattle Children's hospital, which means I was offered a position as a Pediatric Resident (and had already accepted it-it's complicated). I'm REALLY excited! It's a great hospital and the program is full of amazing people that I get to work with. And after many years of medical school (with tuition at 46K this year), I feel ready to move on and become a productive member of society. I'm also terrified because in a couple of months, I will officially be "doctor" for little ones visiting the hospital, or my clinic any hour of the day or night. Yikes!

In less than two weeks, we become Seattle-ites! PDX has definitely treated us well, but life summons us to embrace change-so we are trying! We already rented a place in Capitol Hill, it's a fun condo with lots of character in an old building. There's a 4 mile bike path to the hospital, great coffee shops nearby (crucial), and the best donuts in the city around the corner (dangerous). Come visit!

Ryan will be networking, exploring, and getting to know microfinance in Seattle. You may already know he's a brilliant programmer/IT guy, but you may not know that he's an incredible manager/problem-solver/visionary who happens to have a deep desire to affect change in the world. And there you have it, shameless adoration for my man.

So, to summarize, we move to Seattle in 2 weeks, we travel to Thailand for a fun graduation celebration trip, return for graduation June 3rd, and start residency/job searching after that. Good times!

Novice blogger mistake: too many exclamation points (!!!!!)

I'd better get Ryan back on this. Until then--Love! EM

3 comments:

matt and whitney said...

YAAAY!!!!! (you can use as many exclamation marks as you want girlfriend, you are sharing amazing and fun news that totally warrants exclamatory comments!!) Can you tell by my (!!!!) that I am so excited for you guys? Tons of love...can't believe we didn't connect in Portland, but we will certainly have to trek it up to Seattle. You're place sounds amazingly fun! love you. blog away...I'm reading. xo

Giancarlo said...

too many exclamation points is right. calm down there chief.

p.s. i'm kidding (mostly)
p.s.s. i always wanted to create a beer called "exclamation" so people could order exclamation pints.

Mackenzie said...

for the record, i think your blog writing is perfectly fine. keep i up! and you can never have too many exclamation points - how else are you supposed to communicate emotion over the internet?

I am SO excited for you and I think you are going to make an absolutely wonderful doctor! does that mean we get to call you "Dr. Hartford" now? ee he he ;) hopefully i won't be too far behind you on that one.

best of luck on the move...and have FUN in Thailand! lucky duckie!

love you,
kenz